Sunday, December 09, 2007

Lamictal addict

Lamictal (AKA Lamotrigine) is the anti-seizure drug that I've been prescribed. I've been taking it for some time now and it would appear to be effective most of the time. As I said in my previous post, I still have the occasional seizure but they seem to be less intense and I tend to recover quicker. But - and this is the important point - I worry (and, more importantly, so does my wife) that if I miss a dose, then another seizure will kick in. This is not entirely imaginary; when I missed one dose I had a fit the following morning.

So now I take them religiously twice a day. I carry spares in my wallet just in case. If I'm out for the evening I have to phone my wife at around 7pm (the time when I'm supposed to take the evening dose) just to let her know that I've taken them.

But I've now got a problem. For whatever reason, my doctor seems to prescribe them piecemeal. In other words I get, say, 4 weeks worth of the drug. Why can't they give me a shitload? As far as I can tell, I'm going to have to take it for the rest of my life.

I could rant a lot more, but I can't be bothered. Suffice to say that I've written to my medical practice to complain about their attitude, which no doubt makes me sound sad, but I think it's necessary.

No comments: