Monday, October 01, 2007

More about smells

I've noticed that I've become more sensitive to smells generally. Scents that I might have ignored in the past are now noticeable by their acridity. Some even seem to be "in my nose" - as if they don't really exist. I'm aware that I have become a little obsessed about these smells, although it's more a case of assuring myself that they are not precursors to a seizure as opposed to panicking about them. But they are certainly more noticeable than they were before.

The best way to describe them is if you imagine that the back of your nose is dry and then some acidic or alkalinic vapour runs past. Because your nose is dry, it can't detect the scent as it normally would, but instead just detects the caustic effect it has on the visceral tissue. An exaggerated equivalent of that is what I experience shortly before seizure, so I am sure you can imagine why the mere detection of something similar to this is disturbing.

No comments: