Thursday, November 13, 2008

And I thought I was the one with the problem...

So I turn up yesterday after being told that they'd given me the wrong day (i.e. the day before), ready for being "measured up" - whatever that entailed. I meet the very friendly nurse who confirms that my radiotherapy (RT from hereonin) will start on the 20th Dec. WHAT? I ask. Okay, I don't raise my voice, but I still ask. "I said that if it were possible, I'd rather that the RT didn't start until the new year!"

I'm met with a slightly blank face. "No, that's not written down here," she tells me. Luckily, Nick is around (he now knows, and accepts, that I call him Nick). We have a short meeting later, although that still means that I'm hanging around in the hospital for over an hour. So I see Nick and he tells me that he wasn't aware that there'd been an agreement to the RT not being started until 2009 but, reassuringly, says that he considers that to be okay.

So I still haven't been measured up yet. What I haven't mentioned is that this includes a CAT scan which is slightly more claustrophobic than an MRI scan. Plus I have to try out the bed where I get zapped which just makes me think of the "Goldfinger" movie. This basically involves making sure that you're comfy because you're going to be lying there for the next six weeks (not the whole time - just for about 20 minutes a day - but they need to make sure you'll be in exactly the same position.

Maybe the next appointment will be more illuminating...

No comments: