Friday, August 15, 2008

Awww

Aren't people nice? I went into the office the day after the news (13/8) and obviously had to tell a few people. I tried not to turn it into a pity-party but still got a little hug from a coworker (female). I explained that it is an open verdict at the moment, although the biopsy is near-enough a dead-cert and the radiotherapy is almost so.

I have to say that my company has been extremly supportive. More than they need to be, as far as I can tell. It helps.

The biopsy consists of me turning up at hospital, being given a general anaesthetic, having a hole drilled in the right side of my head, near my temple, and then some brain cells removed. I leave hospital the next day. Then they look at the cells and try and decide exactly what sort of naughty cells I have.

The radiotherapy consists of turning up at hospital every weekday for 6 weeks and getting zapped with x-rays for an hour. It's apparently painless. But they have to make a cool mask first so you get to have one made like they do in the movies which starts with your face being covered with wet bandages soaked in plaster of Paris or something. At least that's what I've read. I'll find out more when I see the Neurosurgeon next time.

I hope I get to keep the mask afterwards. It could be useful if I'm ever invited to an "Eyes Wide Shut" party...

No comments: