Friday, August 15, 2008

I've had some feedback from some of my colleagues after I had the seizure at work. They're quite amusing.

I'm not sure quite what time it was after lunch but I started getting an aura. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but an aura is where you get warning signs that a seizure is going to begin soon. It's difficult to describe. One symptom is that you feel like you really have to concentrate on what you're doing. You also get a general feeling of anxiety. The funniest one is that, after the first one, you start to recognise what's coming along and you think "Bollocks - I am not going to let this happen." And so you try very hard to control your breathing and concentrate on things and so on. It's a losing battle but it does have advantages. For example, I was apparently able to tell my colleagues what drugs I'm on, who my GP is, what my contact numbers are, how they should treat me, and so on. I love this paradox - apparently, if I hadn't been there, they wouldn't have known what to do with me!

So - back at the office. I can feel an aura coming on and I tell one of my colleagues who doesn't know what I mean. I go and sit on the floor, against a wall and try to control what's coming on. That's the end of my memory. Apparently I start telling people what to do, who to contact, what drugs I'm on and so on. When the paramedic arrives I tell him that I'm actually okay and I just need to weather this out but he disagrees and an ambulance arrives shortly afterwards. They tell me that they'll go and get a chair for me and I tell them that I'm perfectly okay to walk. Which I do. So, I get in the Ambulance and we're taken to St Mary's where I'm cannullaed (sp?) and so on.

Apparently I have three seizures. I wake up to find I've got an oxygen mask on. I have no glasses and therefore can't read. I'm bored stiff. I have two days of this...

The hospital staff were very, very nice people.

No comments: