Sunday, August 12, 2007

My first MRI scan - 03/05/07

After my seizure I saw my doctor who referred me to a neurologist. He then recommended that I had an MRI scan. I'm ever-so-slightly claustrophobic so I wasn't looking forward to it. I was told to bring some music with me, something loud, so I brought Fatboy Slim. Anyway, everybody was very pleasant and the only bit that spooked me was when I lay down and they put a sort-of grille over my face and clipped it into place. It wasn't touching my face, nor was it a full face-mask but I just felt uncomfortable because I felt that I was clamped in. I closed my eyes the whole way through. During the experience I could hardly hear the music over the noise of the scanner. Every so often, the MRI operator would say "10 minutes" or "5 minutes" which is when the scanner would start up again. She would also occasionally ask if I was okay. Anyway, eventually the scanner slid back and light came back (although I still had my eyes shut) and I assumed that the session was over. I was wrong. It was just so that I could have a dye injected in my arm which would highlight the blood vessels in my brain. The injection didn't hurt but I had to go back into the scanner. Another 20 minutes or so and it was all over, however. Now I had to wait for the neuro to look at, and interpret, the results. In the meantime, I was given a copy of the images on CD. I had a look at them on my PC, and they were interesting, but I couldn't see anything wrong.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What did the doctor said about your MRI result? Well, I almost freaked out the first time I had an MRI scan. Of course, it’s a huge machine and I don’t have any idea back then how the procedure will go. But, I didn’t feel a thing when I was in there. I just got distracted by the tapping noise. Other than that, it went fine. :)

Julio Loose