Saturday, August 11, 2007

My first seizure - 11/04/07 - 9:30am

I'd never had a seizure before - not even a hint of one. But there we were (my family and me) in the Gare du Nord in Paris, looking for left luggage so that we could leave our luggage and go for a wander until our train which was at something like 4:30pm. As we came out of the Metro I smelled a very strange smell. It had the effect of smelling salts although it didn't smell the same. For some reason this made me panic and I'm worried that it's a terrorist attack (this isn't like me). Anyway, I then get a feeling of deja vu and I mention this to my wife. This is the last thing I remember until I come to in this hospital in Paris.

Apparently, what I'd actually done in the meantime was look extremly pannicky, stuck my arms straight out in front of me and then collapsed, making strange sounds, frothing at the mouth, bleeding from the mouth because I'd bitten my tongue, and basically thrashing around on the floor. Some kind Frenchman called for an ambulance and I was taken away.

I was discharged that evening and we stayed in a hotel and took the Eurostar back to London the following morning. Eurostar were kind enough not to charge extra for us taking an alternative train.

No comments: