Monday, January 12, 2009

Zap!

So I finally got zapped today. All in all it was pretty much an anti-climax. I just waited until I was called into the radiotherapy room and then lay down on the really comfy perspex bed (wipe clean, I guess) after checking some forms and stuff like that. Then they "fitted" my mask (the one I had made about a week ago). They did say that the mask might feel a little tighter than last time, but what they didn't mention was that one of the reasons would be because they were actually attaching it to the bed. I know it's supposed to stop my head moving around too much, but this lot were making certain. Actually, that's not fair; they were very gently really, it was just a little offputting when I was worried whether the bridge of my nose was strong enough to withstand the pressure... As I've said before, the mask is very lightweight and so there's no problem breathing. But as you're lying there, getting zapped, fate always ensures that you get an itchy nose too.

The whole process is very uninteresting. You lie there with your eyes closed and this mask sort-of clamped to your face while various people who were in white coats exhange snippets of conversation that sound like they really should be in a Bond movie. Occasionally they say things to you like "okay - four minutes and 37 seconds and we'll be back with you" and all you can do is give your thumbs up signal.

Anyway, occasionally I hear loud noises of machinery moving somewhere around me (but it doesn't make Star-Trek style zappy noises, although I assume that's what it's doing).

After all this is over, a very nice nurse tells me how I've got to look after myself and sells me some ridiculously expensive face oil (£19 for 1 fluid ounce...) and I feel I have no option but to buy it. She's sort-of like an executive Avon lady. Amway has nothing on this! Anyway, I apparently have to be very gentle to myself and use baby shampoo when I wash my hair and a gentle toothbrush and stuff like that. We'll see.

Next zap tomorrow - and the next one after that is the day after that. And... well, you get the picture. I just get weekends off.

No comments: